what to know about insurance!
Insurance Company Options by Law (Howard v. Reserve Insurance Company, 117 Ill. App. 2d 390, 254 N.E. 2d 631 (1st Dist. 1969)) – Payment of Loss – An insurance company must choose one of three options when handling your accident claim…
1. FIX – Repair the vehicle themselves and accept liability for the work – NEVER.2. BUY – Total the vehicle and buy it from you for a “fair market price” – SOMETIMES.3. PAY – You choose the repair facility, parts and rates and they pay the bill – MOST OF THE TIME.
10 Things to Know Before Having Your Collision Repaired...
• By law you are NOT required to obtain ANY amount of estimates. You choose the shop, one and done.
• You have the RIGHT to go to the repair shop of your choice. It is ILLEGAL for an insurance company to “steer” you to a shop.
• NEVER drive a car that could be unsafe or illegal because of damages. The shop can get an insurance rental car for you.
• You have the right to leave your car at ANY repair shop and the insurance company MUST inspect the car there.
• DIFFERENCES in repair estimates are common. A lower estimate may not include all necessary work. Ask the shop to explain.
• Ask about ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER (OEM) parts and if the insurance company is requesting something else.
• Let the repair shop you choose help NEGOTIATE your claim with the insurance company, this often leads to a better repair.
• Choose a shop with PROPER equipment, CERTIFIED technicians and a good local HISTORY. Choose your own shop!
• Ask if the shop offers a WARRANTY on their work. Insurance companies do NOT warranty repairs from ANY shop, EVER.
• Your car is the second largest investment you're likely to make. Preserve its value and your safety by having it repaired right.
Always call the shop staff with any questions, first. We're here to help!